AGUILES CLUB DE RUGBY
CODE OF CONDUCT
CODE FOR COACHES
1. You have the responsibility for your team and supporters – EXERCISE IT!
2. Set a good example to the players and supporters, and never talk down the ability of referees or opponents.
3. Remember that young players play for fun and enjoyment. Don’t overload them with technical information and tactics.
4. Be reasonable in your demands on young players time, energy and enthusiasm. Remember that they have other interests and demands on their time.
5. Ensure that all players get a game; ‘just average’ players need and deserve equal time.
6. Players develop at different times and in different ways – make allowances for their physical, emotional and mental maturity and development.
7. Winning isn’t everything – teach players to enjoy taking part and performing to the best of their ability. Encourage each player to reach his or her potential.
8. Never abuse, yell, criticise or ridicule children for making mistakes or losing a game.
9. Remember that young people need a Coach that they can respect. Be generous with praise when it is deserved and set a good example..
10. Teach young players that the laws of the game are mutual agreements that no one should evade or break.
11. Create opportunities to teach sportsmanship, just as you would in teaching the basic skills.
12. INSIST ON FAIR PLAY. Do not tolerate foul play, fighting, or foul language. Be prepared to take off an offending player.
13. Develop a team respect for the ability of opponents, as well as for the judgement of referees and opposing coaches.
CODE FOR PARENTS
1. Do not force an unwilling child to participate – young people are involved for their enjoyment.
2. Encourage your child to understand and play within the rules.
3. Teach your child that taking part and trying their best is more important than winning.
4. Focus your child on practising skills, sportsmanship and being part of a team. Winning isn’t everything and not everyone can score the winning try.
5. Support and encourage your child – never criticise them for making mistakes. Console them for losing, but encourage them to try harder next time.
6. Turn defeat into victory by helping your child work towards skill improvement and good sportsmanship.
7. Do not publicly question the referee’s judgement and never his/her honesty. There is no place for ‘touchline rage’ in youth rugby.
8. Support all efforts to remove verbal and physical abuse from youth rugby.
9. Young people learn best by example. Applaud good play by your team and by members of the opposing team.
10. Recognise the value and importance of volunteer coaches, referees and administrators. They give of their time and resources to provide recreational activities for your child.
CODE FOR PLAYERS
1. Play to enjoy rugby, not just to please your parents or coach.
2. Always try your best to improve your skills and play well.
3. Play within the rules and laws of the game.
4. Never argue with referees or coaches – their decision is final, even if you think that they are wrong. Let your Coach or Team Captain ask match officials any questions.
5. Control your temper – do not ‘mouth off’.
6. Swearing does not belong on the rugby field – in training or in matches (or anywhere for that matter).
7. Treat everyone as you yourself would like to be treated. Don’t bully or take unfair advantage of any player. Bullying will not be tolerated.
8. Rugby is a team game – do your best for yourself and your team. Your team’s performance will benefit and so will you.
9. If you lose, accept it with good grace and try harder next time.
10. Be a good sport. Applaud all good play, whether by your team or your opponents’ team.
11. Cooperate with your Coach, team mates, referee and opponents - without them you don’t have a game.
Please understand that the club protects its integrity and we ask all parents, coach’s and supporters to acknowledge by signing and dating date this document.
To ensure our commitment to this code, the club reserves the rights to suspend or expel any continuous violators after several warnings.
This code of conduct should carry through to your behaviour in your community, on buses and in general – especially when you are wearing the Aguiles Club kit.
Please join us in helping the Aguiles maintain its wonderful rugby spirit and hold a high standard of integrity for all.